Some bookish links to kick off your weekend:
- Booker news is everywhere! First, the winner was announced - congratulations to Richard Flanagan for "The Narrow Road to the Deep North." If you're interested in reading the shortlist, the Guardian has a nice round-up of the authors' inspirations for their novels.
- The Guardian also announced the winner of the Not the Booker Prize, which went to Simon Sylvester's "The Visitor."
- The shortlist for the National Book Award was also announced this week. Lots of good picks there.
- Brooklyn Magazine published a thoughtful list of best books by state (though I'm skeptical of a list that doesn't put "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" for New Jersey).
- Book Riot introduced me to Literary Starbucks.
- The Huffington Post produced a list of writers with dachshunds.
- Finally, though this is an older piece, the Telegraph wrote a lovely profile of the late author Eva Abbotson. I read and re-read "The Secret of Platform 13" over and over as a child.